Billboard Japan recently revealed Kenshi Yonezu‘s “KICK BACK,” the opening song of the Fall 2022 Chainsaw Man TV anime adaptation, to be the number song on its Hot Animation mid-2023 chart.
The rest of the top 10 are:
2) “Idol” by YOASOBI (OSHI NO KO‘s opening theme)
3) “Dai Zero Kan” by 10-FEET (The First Slam Dunk‘s ending theme)
4) “New Genesis (Uta from One Piece Film Red)” by Ado (One Piece Film Red‘s theme song)
5) “Mixed Nuts” by Official HIGE DANdism (Spy x Family first opening theme)
6) “The Blessing” by YOASOBI (Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch of Mercury Season 1 opening theme)
7) “I’m Invincible (Uta from One Piece Film Red)” by Ado (One Piece Film Red song)
8) “Zankyosanka” by Aimer (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Season 2 second opening theme)
9) “White Noise” by Official HIGE DANdism (Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown opening theme)
10) “Tokyo Shandy Rendez-vous feat. KAF, Tsumiki” by MAISONdes (Urusei Yatsura  first ending theme)
Some of the above anime songs are also in the top 10 of the Japan Hot 100 mid-2023 chart. “KICK BACK” placed second, with “Idol” right behind it at third place. “Dai Zero Kan” placed fifth, while “New Genesis (Uta from One Piece Film Red)” and “Mixed Nuts” placed sixth and ninth, respectively.
“KICK BACK” debuted at first place on the Hot Animation chart in October 2022 and held the position for 21 consecutive weeks, surpassing “Gurenge”‘s (LiSA‘s Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba opening theme) 16 week record. It also placed ninth on Billboard Japan’s year-end 2022 Hot Animation chart.
Currently, “Idol” is the top song on many of Billboard Japan’s charts, including the Hot 100, Tiktok Weekly Top 20, Streaming Songs, Top User Generated Songs, Hot Animation, and Download Songs. The catchy tune also managed to reach the top spot on the Billboard Global (excluding the United States) chart this week.